Christmas is just around the corner. It’s our 3-month old baby Alexa’s first Christmas and what’s the best way to celebrate it but with our big family back home. Everyone’s excited to bite those cheeks!
As early as the first week of December, everybody’s calendars are already booked for Christmas parties and a lot of Christmas shopping. Lighted trees and decors are up, and Christmas music fills the air.
Two weekends ago, we had our yearly Christmas gathering with friends. It was a potluck dinner. Our share of food were pancit palabok, brownies, and olive oil lemon cake.
This post is to share with you the Olive Oil Lemon Cake that I made. I love lemon squares, so I thought I could give this cake recipe a try. You can check out the source in my Pinterest board, Desserts.
Olive Oil Lemon Cake
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- fresh squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon, strained
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar for topping cake
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place 2 inches of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. In a heat-proof bowl – preferably the bowl of a stand mixer – combine eggs, sugar and zest, and place bowl over pot of simmering water, whisking until egg mixture is warm to the touch.
- Remove bowl from pot and attach to mixer fitted with whisk attachment. If you’re not using a stand mixer, place bowl on counter and use hand mixer. Beat on medium until mixture thickens and becomes pale, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, cream and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- When the egg mixture has reached appropriate thickness, drizzle olive oil mixture over it and mix until combined.
- Turn mixer to low and add dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Stir in melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth batter and sprinkle with tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until top of cake is golden, about 50 minutes. A bamboo skewer inserted into the center should come out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes in pan, then remove to rack to cool completely before cutting.
It’s an easy and delicious recipe. I love the rich, lemony flavor, and that it sounds so healthy (lemon + olive oil!). You should try it.
Gotta go, Alexa’s about to wake up… feeding time!
Enjoy the rest of the week!